In this post, you’ll find 20 fun facts about the vending industry from around the world. I love collecting bits of information on topics that interest me and, of course, vending interests me! It’s so easy today to find little facts on the internet about anything! What a great age we live in. Enjoy!
20 Fun Facts:
- The world’s first vending machine was invented in Ancient Egypt in 215 BCE. It reportedly sold holy water in the Temple in Alexandria.
- The first “patented” vending machine sold stamps in 1857. The patent was acquired by Simeon Denham.
- The U.S. has the most vending machines in the world- 7.1 million in 2016.
Revenue generated by the snack and vending machine industry in 2016 was $73,320,000 and climbing.
- The average annual amount spent per capita at vending machines was $27.
- The percent of vending machine sales that were soda or cold drinks- 56%.
- The first chilled bottled soft drink machines were invented in 1937 by the Vendolator Company.
- Round candy-coated gumballs and gumball vending machines were introduced in 1907.
- From the 1950s into the 1970s, vending machines were used in American airports to sell life insurance policies covering death, should the buyers flight crash.
- In 1972, the first glass front snack machine appeared on the market.
- The first bill acceptor was invented by John Greenwick in 1965.
- Every day seven out of ten people will place coins or dollars in a Vending machine.
Approximately 55.1% of vending machines are located in office or manufacturing buildings.
- Japan has the greatest density of vending machines in the world.
- What’s the most expensive item in a vending machine? The United Arab Emirates has a vending machine that dispenses bars or coins of up to 10 grams of pure gold.
Another name for vending is automated retailing.
- If Tiffany’s is closed, you could get your significant other a genuine diamond bracelet from a vending machine in the Hudson Hotel in New York. Although, it only makes appearances during Fashion Week filled with other high-end designer items.
- There was a convenient coal distributing vending machine in England in the 1930’s that dispensed nuggets of coal to local customers.
- Redbox is a modern vending machine that gets used by customers across the US to bring entertainment home with the latest DVDs, Blu-Rays and video games.
In April 2018, Epic put Vending Machines into its Fortnite game world so that even virtual people have options.